- Dice onion.
- Peel potatoes.
- Leave small potatoes whole or cut large potatoes into quarters.
- Heat pot on medium for about 30 seconds.
- Add beef pieces and stir until they lose thier color, this seals in the flavor.
- Add onions, stir, saute for about 2 minutes.
- Add small beans, lima beans, and barley.
- Cover with enough water to be about 3 inches more then ingredients.
- Bring to a boil.
- Skim off foam.
- Turn burner on low.
- Put cover on and simmer for about 1 hour.
- Add potatoes, make sure there is enough water as beans and barley will have absorbed much water.
- Add ketchup, bouillon cube, garlic powder a little salt and pepper (optional)
- Bring back to boiling point and then on low simmer for 1/2 hour.
- Check taste for seasoning and if meat is almost cooked.
- Add more water to about 3 inches above ingredients in pot as you do not want to have the cholent dry out.
- Cholent should be about 3/4 cooked before leaving for overnight.
- Place cover on pot tightly.
- CHOICE: Can be put on very low burner or warm on top of stove overnight, or in pre-heated oven 200 degrees to 225 degrees, or in slow cooker on low.
- Should be this way from Friday afternoon through the night until Saturday lunch time therfore it is important to make sure that it is given a stir and water is added so it will not dry out.
- Cholent can also be cooked on low for 4 -5 hours.
Makes 5 to 6 servings
NOTE: After your first attempt you will be able to better judge as to how much water would be necessary for your type of cooking untensil.