This dish is rated Fleshig and can be eaten with meat meals only.
- small roasting pan with cover to hold a 3 - 4 lb. brisket or roasting pan about 8 x 10 inches and heavy aluminum foil for cover.
- 1 package onion soup mix
- 3-4 lbs. brisket
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 or 3 Whole Allspice balls or 1/8 tsp. Crushed Rosemary (optional)
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- pinch of salt and/or pepper (optional)
- Place meat in roasting pan.
- Mix onion soup mix, water, garlic powder, peper, allspice or rosemary together.
- Pour mixture over meat.
- Cover roasting pan with cover or cover with aluminum foil.
- Pre-heat oven at 325 degrees.
- Bake 3 to 3 1/2 hours until meat is easily pierced with fork.
- 1/2 way through cooking time, check to see if there is enough liquid, if not add a small amount of water so that it will not dry out.
- Strain sauce in a separate container and refrigerate both meat and sauce separately.
- The next day slice meat against the grain.
- Remove fat from top of sauce.
- Place sauce and meat back in roasting pan so that meat will absorb more flavors and heat thoroughly in oven.
NOTE: Meat will slice much more easily when cold. Makes 4 -5 servings.
Best if cooked the day before.
Can be sliced and frozen in single layer.
USING LEFTOVERS: Cut up in bite size pieces, and mix with stir fry vegatables, served over rice.