This dish is rated Pareve and can be eaten with meat or dairy meals.
- Mixing Bowl
- Plastic Wrap
- Rolling Pin
- Cookie Sheet or 9x13 Baking Pan
- Parchment Paper
- Cookie Cutters
- Pastry Brush
- Baking Board
- Cake Rack or Plate
- 3 cups flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 stick pareve margarine (equal to 1/2 cup) - margarine should be room temperature soft
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg white lightly beaten
- Candy Sprinkles (optional)
- Sugar and Cinnamon mixture (optional)
- Colored Sugar (optional)
- Frosting in a tube (optional)
- Beat margarine, eggs, and sugar together until creamy.
- Sift flour, salt, baking powder together.
- Add dry ingredient mixture slowly to wet mixture and mix thoroughly.
- Dough should be a mixture stiff enough to roll out.
- Place dough on a floured board and knead dough slightly.
- Divide dough into 3 pieces.
- Wrap 2 pieces into plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator.
- Flour board and rolling pin so that dough will not stick.
- Rollout with rolling pin first batch to about 1/4 to 1/8 inch thick (if batch is not workable place in refrigerator for an hour)
- Cut out with cookie cutters, dipped in flour and arrange on greased cooking sheets or on parchment paper in pan.
- With Pastry Brush brush with slightly beaten egg white, and sprinkle with sugar or sprinkles or other decorations except frosting.
- Bake some cookies plain to decorate with frosting after.
- Pre heat oven 375 degrees and use oven shelf in the middle.
- Bake about 8 minutes until delicately brown around the edges.
- Remove from baking sheets at once with a spatula and let cool on plate or cake rack if possible.
NOTE: Amount of cookies depends on the size of cookie cutouts used. Cookies can be baked plain and decorated with tubed frosting available in the baking department of the market.
Store in an air tight container.